Skip to main content
RuinRío Dulce, Izabal, Guatemala

Castillo de San Felipe de Lara

A 17th-century Spanish fort at the mouth of Lake Izabal, repeatedly burned and rebuilt during centuries of pirate attacks.

Castillo de San Felipe de Lara — primary photo

Share this page

History & haunting lore

Built to protect the trade port of San Antonio de las Bodegas, the fort used a heavy chain strung nightly across the river to block pirate ships from reaching Lake Izabal. It was destroyed and rebuilt several times after raids by pirates including Diego el Mulato and Dutch buccaneer Juan Zaques, and later served as a prison where captives were reportedly chained neck-deep in water.

Restored in 1955 after decades of ruin, the fort's dungeons and thick stone walls remain the focus of local pirate legends, and guides occasionally mention uneasy feelings reported by visitors near the old cells alongside the fort's well-documented history of harsh punishment.

Current site status

Open daily from 8am to 5pm as a state-run historic park managed by INGUAT, with boat access available from Río Dulce town.

Activity at Castillo de San Felipe de Lara

Field notes and sightings tagged to this haunt.